Biting and nipping
We tolerate rough and tumble with puppies when their jaws aren’t strong enough to do any damage but when they develop both sharp teeth and some strength it’s not so fun anymore. It’s best to start as you mean to go on.
If however a problem has developed with nipping here are a few pointers to help you to stop it.
• Use their littermate’s technique of yelping and withdrawing when they bite you.
• Redirect behaviour. As soon as they bite you admonish them and replace your hand with a chew toy.
• Hold his mouth closed for 5 seconds when he bites you and tell him to ‘Leave it.’
• Shake a plastic coke bottle filled with pebbles when he bites. They hate the noise.
• Wear leather gloves (gardening) covered in something foul tasting and allow him to bite them.